Press "Enter" to skip to content

Man stole 25 puppies from SSA offices and fleeced his girlfriend. He was sentenced to 10 years in prison.

When the Social Security Administration’s Driver’s License Office in St. Louis was gutted in a fire in 2015, one employee tried to get some work done in a spare office hours after the fire was extinguished.

Then, one day last November, that employee, John McFakeson, 52, of St. Louis, went on a dog-snatching spree by stealing about two dozen pups from four separate SSA locations in the St. Louis area. He was convicted by a jury on Wednesday of violating several federal dog-snatching and animal-cruelty laws.

He was sentenced to 10 years and could be deported back to Jamaica, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

“You’re going to see yourself rearrested and that’s the deal,” U.S. District Judge Garrett Tucker told him.

The thefts occurred at the Driver’s License Office, Driver’s License Processing Facility, St. Louis Region Regional Office (BRRFO) located at 1553 Belleville Pike in St. Louis, the BRRFO satellite facility at 6300 Kipp Ave. in Ferguson, and a Center For Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) facility located at 12040 Creve Coeur Drive in Creve Coeur.

McFakeson stole about 25 puppies over a period of 10 days, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Western District of Missouri. He was arrested on November 9, 2018, by investigators from the Missouri State Highway Patrol and the St. Louis City Police Department and was charged with multiple crimes, including interstate transportation of stolen property.

During the course of the investigation, investigators identified and arrested McFakeson’s girlfriend, Emily Anderson, 32, also of St. Louis, as part of the dog-snatching spree.

She pleaded guilty on August 31, 2019, to two counts of interstate transportation of stolen property and is scheduled to be sentenced on December 5, 2019.


A man shot himself in the neck during a domestic dispute before releasing his 5-year-old daughter, authorities said. It happened Thursday night in Livermore Springs, Missouri. The girl walked a half mile to a neighbor’s house and spoke to police.

“She said that the suspect shot himself in the neck and then she ran out of the house and dialed 911,” Sgt. Steve Madalone of the Fruitland Police Department said.

The suspect was in the hospital on Friday, while the child was being evaluated by police, Fox4KC reported.

Read next: Twitter releases 5 new features in push to grow business

READ MORE: I spent more than $20,000 on a voice recording studio and it destroyed my marriage